- What is BioGaia Prodentis?
BioGaia Prodentis is an oral food supplement for the mouth that contains the patented lactic acid bacterium Lactobacillus reuteri Prodentis.
- What is Lactobacillus reuteriProdentis?
Lactobacillus reuteri Prodentis is the lactic acid bacteria found in BioGaia Prodentis. Lactobacillus reuteri Prodentis was originally isolated from a human with good oral health who had no gum problems or tooth decay.
- Does BioGaia Prodentis have any side effects?
Safety studies have been conducted on children, adults and elderly. None of the studies have reported side effects with Lactobacillus reuteri, even at doses that exceed the levels normally found in BioGaia products. A small number of people have experienced a temporary increase in mild flatulence.
- How long does it take before I notice the effects of BioGaia Prodentis?
BioGaia Prodentis have shown effects on bleeding gums after 2 weeks.
- When should I take BioGaia Prodentis?BioGaia Prodentis should be taken 1-2 times daily after brushing, flossing and 30 minutes after possible use of antibacterial mouthwash. Antibacterial mouthwash kills all bacteria, including Lactobacillus reuteri, and therefore this combination should be avoided.
- Is BioGaia Prodentis safe for pregnant women?
BioGaia Prodentis is suitable and safe for pregnant women to consume according clinical studies. During pregnancy, women may experience more problems with the gums than they normally have and supplementation with BioGaia Prodentis may therefore be appropriate.
- Does BioGaia Prodentis contain sugar?
No, BioGaia Prodentis contains the sweeteners sucralose (mint lozenge) and xylitol (apple lozenge). Neither sucralose nor xylitol cause tooth decay. Sucralose and xylitol are not broken down by the body and therefore contains no calories.
- What is the recommended dose of BioGaia Prodentis?
The recommended daily dose of BioGaia Prodentis is 200 million Lactobacillus reuteri Prodentis (2 x 10^8) CFU (colony forming units). You receive this dose by consuming 1 BioGaia Prodentis lozenge or 5 drops of BioGaia Prodentis drops, at the clinic. In some cases, your dentist or dental hygienist recommend two lozenges daily.
- Are there any clinical studies?
Today there are more than 40 studies in humans, which support the use of Lactobacillus reuteri Prodentis for oral health.
- How does BioGaia Prodentis work?
BioGaia Prodentis helps promote oral health by providing ”good” bacteria, which prevents the growth of ”bad” bacteria in the mouth.
- Does BioGaia Prodentis replace chlorhexidine?
No. Chlorhexidine is only indicated for short-term use (1-2 weeks) and works differently as it is non-selective in the killing of bacteria. BioGaia Prodentis is suitable for longer term use and targets the bad bacteria by out competing them.